Re: normalizing mp3s under debian/linux

On Sat, 23 Dec 2000 11:10:51 -0600
Dave Sherohman <esper@sherohman.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 23, 2000 at 01:38:01PM -0200, Christoph Simon wrote:
> > But think of it twice.
> > Changing the volume of a song can actually destroy the musical value of
> > the piece.
>
> How do you figure?  As long as relative volume of the sections within each
> individual piece is maintained, I don't see why there should be any problems.

Well, I can generally speak with a low voice, forcing others to pay
more attention to what I say. If you raise the volume, the words are
still the same, but you broke one of the intentions I had to say
things the way I did. It's the musicians choice not to use all the
dynamic range with which might technically be possible. Also, if you
have an oeuvre in several files, you certainly will break the whole
thing.

> > And also, remember that mp3 as well es jpeg are lossy
> > compressions. If you uncompress and recompress, you will loose more
> > and more information until lowering quality well audibly.
>
> This is, however, a significant drawback to the decode-manipulate-reencode
> process.

I guess it's not that bad, if you like techno music and don't repeat
the action lots of times. But if you like subtile features...

--
Christoph Simon
ciccio@prestonet.com.br
---