Installing PHP 4.0.3pl1 and Apache 1.3.14

Hi everyone,

currently I am trying to compile PHP 4.0.3pl1 as a DSO for Apache
1.3.14 on a pure Potato (2.2r2) system. So far without sucess.
The software compiles just fine, but during the final linking process
I get the following error message:

/usr/bin/ld: .libs/libphp4.so: undefined versioned symbol name __ns_name_unpack@@GLIBC_2.1
/usr/bin/ld: failed to set dynamic section sizes: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [libphp4.la] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/src/php/cvs/php4'

The only configure-option I used was "--with-apxs".
I am using an Apache which has also been compiled from scratch, not
the Debian-package.

In the PHP-INSTALL list's archive someone mentioned, that the
c library used in Potato may be too old.  Could someone confirm or
deny this?  So far, I am shying away from an upgrade to the unstable
distribution.

Has anyone succeded in compiling Apache/PHP 4 on a Potato system?

Thanks in advance  -- Stephan
--
Stephan Engelke                                                engelke@gmx.net
              *** Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem. ***