Re: Case of login relevant?

on Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 09:13:58PM +0000, sena (sena@decoy.ath.cx) wrote:
> On 11/12/2000 at 12:28 -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> > Yes.  UserIDs are case sensitive, except in the special case of a userid
> > entered in uppercase only, in which case the system assumes that your
> > tty cannot use lowercase characters.
> >
> Is there any documentation that describes the behaviour of the system when a
> userid is entered in uppercase only?
>
> When I type something at the login: prompt (getty), instead of a "Password:"
> prompt, I get a "PASSWORD:" prompt, but I don't know the reason for any of
> this...
>
> If you (or anybody) could give me some hints, I'd appreciate it.

No docs that I'm aware of, it's an "it's always been that way" kind of
thing.  I believe this is handled by the login package, you might try
looking at sources.

But you did pique my curiosity.  Downloading login sources from ibiblio,
there's no test for case of input in the sources that I can see.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/GNU/Linux/system/admin/login/
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/GNU/Linux/system/admin/login/fancylogin-0.99.7.tar.gz

However, the termios manpage mentions ICANON, IUCLC, and OLCUC, which
make me suspect that this is built into the basic terminal handlers
rather than login itself.