Re: SVGATextMode (was Re: LI- Lilo just stops working <SOLVED>a)

Quoth kmself@ix.netcom.com,
> In which case, you'll *love* SVGATextMode.  Though I hear it's being
> replaced with something else in future versions of Linux.

The framebuffer console replaces SVGATextMode (although something else
might be replacing that, for all I know). Running the Matrox framebuffer
at 1024x768 gives you oddles of screen real estate with quite a usable
font (IMHO).

The framebuffer console is a part of the linux 2.2 kernel. The VGA16
mode works on all machines I have tried it on, but is not as fast as the
standard text console (esecially for scrolling back (eg., in less), in
my experience).

cheers,

damon

--
Damon Muller              | Did a large procession wave their torches
Criminologist/Linux Geek  | As my head fell in the basket,