Re: xlibs error

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 10:54:02PM -0500, Jens Gecius wrote:
> Gareth Bowker <tgb96@aber.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/xlibs_4.0.1-10_i386.deb
> > (--unpack):
> >  trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults', which is also in
> > package xpaint
> >
> > Any help resolving this would be great as apt refuses to work until I
> > fix this.
>
> Do a `apt-get remove xpaint` and after finishing the dist-upgrade, you
> should be able to reinstall xpaint.

You could also install the libraries by doing a
'dpkg --force-overwrite -i /var/cache/apt/archives/xlibs_4.0.1-10_i386.deb'
That's how I did it until yesterday and it didn't seem to cause any
problems - after all we're just overwriting a symlink with a new link
pointing to the same destination.
Right now, I have the following lines in apt.conf:
---
DPkg
{
  Pre-Install-Pkgs {"/usr/sbin/dpkg-preconfigure --apt || true";};
  Options {"--force-overwrite";}
}
---
This should force apt-get to overwrite app-defaults automatically.
The only problem is that it will overwrite everything - even things
where it would have made sense to stop the installation.
Before I can recommend this, I'll have to see whether it breaks
anything - I don't expect this to happen, tough.

HTH,
Juergen