Re: why not dselect (i now know the answer)

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 04:57:01PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 at 08:06:17 -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > i maintain that dselect should be showing me these errors.  and barring
> > that, i maintain that it should give me the option of seeing them, which it
> > currently doesn't.
>
> But on my system it does; when I quit dselect the screen containing dpkg
> output is restored. This is not dselect trying to 'enforce its idea of
> "importancy"' on anyone, or any such FUD, since the expected behaviour
> is that when endwin() is called then the previous screen is restored.
> Granted, on some terminals it doesn't, but that's their fault. What
> terminal are you using? Does Shift-PgUp happen to scroll back to the
> error output?
>
> Yes, dselect probably ought to have an extra pause for keyboard input in
> it, but I imagine it would be trivial to fix if you were to tell the
> maintainers about it rather than debian-user. It's not exactly an
> irresolvable design flaw.

OOC, would a script session keep the messages??  This "problem" exists for
all updates by any mechanism that I have used (dselect/dpkg/apt-get), so why
not script the session and have a record of it?

Kenward
--
It is not so very important for a person to learn facts.  For that he
doesn't really need a college education, for he can learn them from