APT and stable/unstable packages

Please reply to my email address also, I am not subscribed to the list yet.
I am currently running a hacked and hacked-over again old unstable version of 2.2.
On a separate partition I am now installing 2.2 stable, and have a question: I have an NVidia
graphics card that requires XFree86 4.0 to run comfortably. For my current setup I installed
Xfree86 4.0 binary .tgz from their website, replaced the debian xfree86 packages with dummy
equivalents - used the equivs package if memory serves me right, and had very few problems.
However, now, to make my maintenance chore easier, I would like to use the XFree86  4.0 packages
from unstable, but those are the only packages that I want to use, I do not want to install any
other unstable packages. Re-configuring apt to get unstable doesn't seem to be like a great idea
since I run apt-get dist-upgrade weekly to get the updates on stable packages, if any. If I leave
it at unstable, it will convert my system to unstable. I do not know if it is possible to download
the unstable package list, upgrade a few packages, and then revert to the stable package list -
what will happen to the packages downloaded from unstable the next time I run apt-get update and
then dist-upgrade. Also, I wouldn't mind downloading the XFree86 packages manually, but keeping
track of all of their "requires" manually is error-prone, I don't think I want to attempt that
again.

Thanks a lot
Yuri Niyazov