Re: XF86_SVGA consuming over 60% of my memory

kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> on Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 11:04:28PM -0800, Greg Strockbine (gstrock@pacbell.net) wrote:
> > I'm running Debian potato, so I have the pre version 4 of XFree.
> > It used to run like a champ.  After installing a few more packages
> > and doing an update here or there, it appears I have a memory
> > leak.
> >
> > I barely have anything running compared to when it ran like
> > a champ and now I'm always on the border line of memory
> > starvation.
> >
> > with 256 Mbytes of ram I tend to have only 50 Mbytes or less free.
> > a 128 Mbyte swap file is down to 36 Mbytes or less free.
> >
> > Here's what I do have running:
> > - XF86-SVGA
> > - bash
> > - communicator-sm
> > - deskguide_applet
> > - emacs
> > - gkrellm
> > - gmc
> > - gnapster
> > - gnome-terminal
> > - gtop
> > - mini_commander applet
> > - panel
> > - sawfish
> > - tasklist_applet
> >
> > wah! my machine is running like a win98 machine!
> >
> > used to be I could have 2 emacs sessions,  an xterm,
> > gqview,  several netscape windows, and more and run
> > for over a month with no lose of resources.  It was rock
> > solid, now its limping like a sick puppy.
> >
> > any ideas?
>
>     $ ( ps aux | head -1; ps aux | sed -e '1d' | sort -k 6nr ) | head -20
>
> I've heard that GNOME and components can pig out.  What happens to X
> when you start closing things?
>
> My own box is doing relatively OK on a similar configuration and load.
> X is about 19% of 256 MB RAM.
>
>     2:21am  up 11 days, 22:23,  6 users,  load average: 3.52, 3.38, 3.52
>   127 processes: 124 sleeping, 3 running, 0 zombie, 0 stopped
>   CPU states:   5.3% user,   7.8% system,  86.9% nice,   0.0% idle
>   Mem:  257828K av, 248128K used,   9700K free, 133908K shrd,   6772K buff
>   Swap: 403772K av,   5224K used, 398548K free                122668K cached
>
> --
> Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>     http://www.netcom.com/~kmself
>  Evangelist, Zelerate, Inc.                      http://www.zelerate.org
>   What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?      There is no K5 cabal
>    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/        http://www.kuro5hin.org

Closing things didn't help.  Then a funny thing happened, napster
crashed, and X's memory consumption dropped way low.  It looks
like napster was the culprit, but the problem was there before I ran
napster.  I was previously blaming Mozilla 18.

I eventually logged out and logged back in and things are much better.
With the same executables running as before, but adding Mozilla 18 to
that list, X is at 33 Mbytes,  the system monitor shows 12.5% of the memory
for X.

- greg s.