Re: Redhat to Debian

> I recently read a sort of HOWTO for converting a linux redhat >=6.0 into
> a debian 2.2 (potato).
> I just couldn't find the document again.
> Could someone give me the address where I could find it ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> 	Nicolas.

I have recently made a system with dual-boot Debian 2.2 / SuSE 6.4
on request. Basicly I used something like:

/dev/hda1: 500Mb root fs - Debian
/dev/hda2: 500Mb root fs - SuSE
/dev/hda3: 256Mb swap
/dev/hda4: 19Gb  big

debian:
/usr -> /big/debian/usr/
/var -> /big/debain/var/
/opt -> /big/opt/
/home -> /big/home/

suse:
/usr -> /big/suse/usr/
/var -> /big/suse/var/
/opt -> /big/opt/
/home -> /big/home/

big:
/big/debian/usr/local -> /big/local
/big/suse/usr/local -> /big/local
/big/debain/var/mail -> /big/mail
/big/suse/var/mail -> /big/mail

Now... the problem was a bit in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.
I have made a script to extract all non-system users out of
debian/suse passwd and shadow file and insert them into the
other one. This is a bit tricky and its good to also consider
both adduser.conf files (some dists have useradd.conf :))

Both distributions co-exist, are largely independent and
still share users for both.

Jirka

--
Jiri Klouda <jk@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>