Re: Problem with Z32 in a Woody box

curro wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Manegold wrote:
>

> > I assume that the parport support in the kernel/modules is enabled/the
> > module loaded and PLIP disabled.
> > Can you try with some other device if it's a port problem (looks like
> > one though) or printer Problem?
> >
> > Thorsten
> >
>         I do not have other device available to check the port. I think
> the modules are enabled and what I am not sure is if PLIP is disabled.
> How could I check this? I enclose here some outputs that could be of help
>
> a) lsmod output
>
> Module                  Size  Used by
> parport_probe           3344   0  (autoclean)
> parport_pc              7184   1  (autoclean)
> lp                      5168   0  (autoclean)
> parport                 7280   1  (autoclean) [parport_probe parport_pc lp]
> lockd                  31152   1  (autoclean)
> sunrpc                 52432   1  (autoclean) [lockd]
> ds                      6544   2
> i82365                 28528   2
> pcmcia_core            44384   0  [ds i82365]
> nls_iso8859-1           2272   1  (autoclean)
> nls_cp437               3776   1  (autoclean)
> vfat                    9008   1  (autoclean)
> serial                 19696   0  (autoclean)
> unix                   10160   9  (autoclean)

If you compiled your kernel, you could look in the configuration that
you used (eg. make menuconfig). If not: I don't know of an insall-kernel
that had it enabled. From your modules it does not appear that you have
plip loaded, but it could still be compiled into the kernel, thererfore
the above. The parport moudules seem to be there.

> b) cat /proc/parport/0/*
>
> CLASS:Printer;
> MODEL:Lexmark Z22-Z32;
> MANUFACTURER:Lexmark;
> COMMAND SET:LNPAP;
>  lp
> base:   0x378
> irq:    none
> dma:    none
> modes:  SPP
> none

So it seems like your Parport is ok and communcating with the printer.

> c) lpq (just after sending an ASCII file to the printer with lp)
>
> Printer: lp@nst12  'z32'
>  Queue: no printable jobs in queue
>  Filter_status: lp is ready and printing
>
> It seems to be ready but as soon as the file arrives it is removed from
> the queue. If I just do cat file > /dev/lp0 as root neither it complains
> nor it prints anything.

I agree, seems to be ready. So the parport is ok, Linux sees the port
and as it seems to see the printer as well. The problem therefore seems
to be either with the printer or the driver/filter. But since cat file >
/dev/lp0 does not give any reaktion from the printer (no lights blinking
indicating that it receives data, right?), it seems more like a problem
of the printer itself (unless it can't print plain ASCII as some
printers can't).
Therefore: You are sure the printer itself is working? It works with
other computers/OSs? Just to check all the bases, since I'm running out
of ideas.

>         I hope this information could give you a hint. Thanks for your
> interest. I posted a similar asking to a DELL Laptop users mail list and I
> got any answer from there. Sorry for the mistakes in my first messages,
> I am a full newbie in mail lists and I may be prone to this silly
> mistakes.
>
>                 CURRO

Maybe someone else got some input too??

Thorsten