Re: configuring X

Paragraphs are good, Rubbish.

On Sun, Sep 03, 2000 at 08:45:51PM -0400, Rubbish5@aol.com wrote:

> So my setup:  I'm using Debian 2.2.  I just did a full upgrade of
> whatever Debian's newest of everything is, so I'm not quite sure what
> version of X I've got, but I'm pretty much positive it's 3.6 or
> greater.

Run "X --probeonly", or "X --version", which will give the version of X
on stdout.

> My computer is a Compaq Presario 1800XL 190 Laptop.  My video card is
> an ATI Rage Mobility AGP, although when you really get into the
> diagnostics it's listed as "ATI Rage Mobility p", which is one of the
> cards I can choose when using xf86config.

xf86config is a PITA IMO.  Use XF86Setup instead.  It's a GUI tool, uses
the VGA X server, so you'll need that installed.  Rather more intuitive
than xf86config.

> I've been told what refresh rates to use by several people, and I
> haven't fried my monitor, so I'm set there.

AFAIK, most laptops are hard-set to 60 Hz.  This causes far fewer
problems with an LCD display than it does with a CRT, in terms of
flicker, etc.

> As far as RAMDAC, I'm a little stuck there, the closest I found was a
> diagnostic that read "DAC: Internal" but I just type 'q' for that one
> since it says it can generally auto-detect.  Clockchip I do without,
> and I use the Mach-64 server, which is what my card is meant to be
> used with.

No specific data, but I'd suggest auto-detect first.

> So the problem is really simple to describe :-)  I type 'startx' and I
> get a nice little flicker of what's probably X for aprox .5 seconds,
> and then the screen goes blank.  I can't power off my computer, so I
> have to yank the powercord and the battery out.  Ctrl + Alt +
> Backspace also does not work.  Any help is much appreciated!

It's possible that your colordepth and/or resolution aren't supported.
Sounds like a pretty fried X setup.  Have you looked online for configs
for similar hardware?