Re: configuring X

As I recall, CTRL-ALT-F1, issued multiple times will break you out
of this. If you started from the first tty, you might have to use
CTL-ALT-F2. Then you can kill X from the console. Hope this helps.

Paul

Rubbish5@aol.com wrote:
: X is a big meanie :-)

: Okay, well actually it's my own inability to configure my video properly (I
: *think* that's what's going on at least.)  So my setup:  I'm using Debian
: 2.2.  I just did a full upgrade of whatever Debian's newest of everything is,
: so I'm not quite sure what version of X I've got, but I'm pretty much
: positive it's 3.6 or greater.  My computer is a Compaq Presario 1800XL 190
: Laptop.  My video card is an ATI Rage Mobility AGP, although when you really
: get into the diagnostics it's listed as "ATI Rage Mobility p", which is one
: of the cards I can choose when using xf86config.  I've been told what refresh
: rates to use by several people, and I haven't fried my monitor, so I'm set
: there.  As far as RAMDAC, I'm a little stuck there, the closest I found was a
: diagnostic that read "DAC: Internal" but I just type 'q' for that one since
: it says it can generally auto-detect.  Clockchip I do without, and I use the
: Mach-64 server, which is what my card is meant to be used with.  So the
: problem is really simple to describe :-)  I type 'startx' and I get a nice
: little flicker of what's probably X for aprox .5 seconds, and then the screen
: goes blank.  I can't power off my computer, so I have to yank the powercord
: and the battery out.  Ctrl + Alt + Backspace also does not work.  Any help is
: much appreciated!

: -Chris

: --
: Unsubscribe?  mail -s unsubscribe debian-user-request@lists.debian.org < /dev/null

--
*   For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son,  *