Re: OT: named cache

On Sat, Jun 03, 2000 at 09:32:36AM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:

> I've never seen any disk usage for anything other than master zones on
> the seven nameservers I run, if that's any help.

Yes. As soon as I posted this question I thought to take a peek at
comp.protocols.dns.bind where my eyes almost immediately fell on a thread
"Where's the cache?" Here's a snip:

-snip-
> Ok this might be a dumb question but my logs have a lot of messages like
> "Cleaned cache of 49 RRsets", there's also the ncache_tt, which implies
> stuff is being cached on my box, where is this cache?

In named's memory.

>I'm wondering what resources are being used and how running a caching

Use "ps" to see the size of the named process to see how much VM it's
using.
-snip-

There's nothing new under the sun. <g>

> I'm in the process of building a CD-ROM boot disk that has a live Debian
> filesystem on it and logging cranked down with logrotate aggressively
> rotating off the logs ... that all runs from ramdisk as a test of how to
> create cheap caching-only/forwarding nameservers.  I'll put up a URL
> here in -user once I have it working if anyone wants to play with it.

Please do!

--
Bob Bernstein
at                          http://www.ruptured-duck.com