Re: postgres database framework disappeared: Solved

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 11:03:23PM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:

> I don't know how this happened.  Suddenly postgres's postmaster is not
> running and trying to make it run results in the following error
> message:
>
> There is no PostgreSQL database framework in /var/postgres/data.
> Run initdb as the postgres user to create it.

I found the culprit but still does not know how it happened:

In  /etc/passwd  the line was
postgres:x:31:32:postgres:/var/lib/postgres:/bin/sh
                              ^^^^
I removed the /lib part and then after a reboot it worked.

How /var/postgres became /var/lib/postgres I do not know.  Earlier
today there was no problem and I did not edit that file for months.

Johann
--
J.H. Spies, Hugenotestraat 29, Posbus 80, Franschhoek, 7690, South Africa
Tel/Faks 021-876-2337 Sel/Cell 082 898 1528(Johann) 082 255 2388(Hester)