Re: Sendmail Config

Try using a simpler mail transfer agent such as exim.  Sendmail is really
for big sites that need a lot of configurability.  You really don't need all
that configurability or complexity.

Other users will tell you to use qmail, postfix, or smail, I'm sure.  These
are all equally viable solutions.  Exim is just my preference for simple
sites.

as root type:
#apt-get --purge remove sendmail exim+

The exim configuration script will ask you questions, answer:
1
(accept the default)
localhost
none
none
(your username)

Now to configure where mail appears to be coming from is a job for your mail
user agent.  Unfortunately, I'm only familiar with how to do this in mutt.
Another user will, I'm sure be able to tell you how to do it in whatever
program you're using if you tell us what that is.

In mutt (in case that's what you're using):
add to your ~/.muttrc file:
set realname="Your Name"
my_hdr From: \"$realname\" \<your@email.address\>

HTH
-Dan

--
"... the most serious problems in the Internet have been caused by
unenvisaged mechanisms triggered by low-probability events; mere human