Re: MST7MDT (and America/Denver?) timezone broken?

Scott Barker <scott@mostlylinux.ab.ca> writes:
> On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 09:03:51AM -0400, Touloumtzis, Michael wrote:
> > I too got daylight time to be recognized by changing experimentally from
> > the SystemV-style EST5EDT to America/New_York.  But that is not a solution
> > to the problem that EST5EDT seems broken in "frozen".  As for rebooting,
> > I reserve that for my Win95 machine ;-).  Honestly, I've seen only one
> > instance in 5 years of running Linux where I _had_ to reboot (the kernel
> > was very confused about swap, and was emitting some _very_ alarming
> > warning messages!).  It should be enough to '/etc/init.d/cron restart'.
>
> I agree, and generally never reboot. I just wanted to see what the
> time was in my CMOS clock, since 'hwclock' seems unable to report
> the actual value in the CMOS clock like it did in slink. Yet another
> bug (although I note this one is already listed in the Debian bug
> tracking system).
>
> I took a look at the source for timezones from glic6, and I note
> that America/Denver is the same as MST7MDT. Is anyone in the
> America/Denver timezone having problems?

Haven't had a problem with either my home or my laptop both running
potato. The laptop was just updated yesterday, and the home machine a
week ago. The contents of the /etc/timezone files:

laptop: US/Mountain
home: MST7MDT

and neither of them has had a problem with the time. The laptop pretty
much runs 24/7 during the week, and this past weekend, but my home
system is generally powered up in the morning and shut down at night.

Gary