Re: XWindows Error

One of the quickest ways I know is to go to dselect and search for the packages:

xf86setup
xserver-vga16
xserver-svga

Install these packages and any packages they depend upon.  Once installed, as root
use the following command to set up X:

XF86Setup

This will launch the vga server, which is a basic server that should work on any
hardware.  Go through the option tabs at the top and choose the right settings for
your hardware.  When you get to the card database, select the card description that
matches you graphics card.  If the correct driver for that card is not installed, it
will warn you and tell you which driver it needs.  If the driver is there, then you
get no warning and you can save and run X again (startx).  If not there, exit the
program and install the driver (using dselect).

This should get X going for you (if you know what hardware you have), but you will
also need to have a window manager.  These are some names of window managers:

enlightenment
wmaker
sawmill
blackbox
icewm

and loads of others, which you can probably find in the same section in dselect.  Try
experimenting!!!  Using dselect is a lot easier for dealing with dependancies than
apt-get (which only tells you one problem at a time).

Hope this is the level of detail you need!!!

Johnny.

Dan Hutchinson wrote:

> Hello Debian Users,
>  I am a newbie to Linux and I loaded a workstation with Debian Linux
> - Potato recently.  When I try to start Xwindows with the startx command
> I get the following error
>
> xinit: No such file or directory (errno2); no server "X" in PATH
>
> Use the -- option, or make sure that /usr/X11R6/bin is in your path and
> that "X" is a program or a link to the right type of server for your
> display.  Possible server names include:
>
> XF86_SVGA     SVGA color display on i386 PC
> XF86_Mono     monochrome display on i386 PC
> .
> .
> .
>
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> giving up.
> xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
> xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.
>
> My first question is how can I check that I have all the software to
> run XWindows?
> Second, how do you use apt-get to get debian packages if I need more.
>
> I am using a Micron Pentium 200 with a Stealth Pro 2000 video card.
>
> Dan

begin:vcard
n:Stevenson;John
x-mozilla-html:TRUE