XWindows Error

Hello Debian Users,
 I am a newbie to Linux and I loaded a workstation with Debian Linux
- Potato recently.  When I try to start Xwindows with the startx command
I get the following error

xinit: No such file or directory (errno2); no server "X" in PATH

Use the -- option, or make sure that /usr/X11R6/bin is in your path and
that "X" is a program or a link to the right type of server for your
display.  Possible server names include:

XF86_SVGA     SVGA color display on i386 PC
XF86_Mono     monochrome display on i386 PC
.
.
.

_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
giving up.
xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

My first question is how can I check that I have all the software to
run XWindows?
Second, how do you use apt-get to get debian packages if I need more.

I am using a Micron Pentium 200 with a Stealth Pro 2000 video card.

Dan

To get your own FREE ZDNet Onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax,
all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com