Configuration packages

I just finished install debian 2.1 from the net.

Now I have a mostly working system. However, some of them are still not working : samba do not receive my password, my squid not working, etc.

I have looked in /usr/doc with each respective documents, they are just the original documents, they do not tell what changes is made to debian packages, and what packages were need to further customerize.

Is there a way to known which packages need to turn before they work?

Rgs,

Kent Sin