HELP! (was: Er... bootable, not anymore )

Sorry to bounce this message, but I chewed all afternoon on this problem
and am finally giving up.

As it seems, I can get the system up using rescue root=/dev/sda2 single...
no net connection.

I can deinstall/reinstall kernel packages, but I won't be asked how I wish
to boot at all. After "Setting up ..." its's back at the prompt.

The only bootdisk creation utility I found on the system is mkboot, which
generates a LILO bootdisk. It gets as far as "Loding linux". No dots -
full hang...

Any ideas? I got a great many thanks to offer :)

Christian