crashing and no intl keyboard

Need help. I have two bad problems on Slink: I can't make
Debian type Spanish and many of my apps crash often.

1. I can't make the international keyboard work. I need to use
Spanish markings but they don't work on my copy of Slink. I can change
flags but I can't change the keyboard. I go to panel --> add
applet-->utility-->GKB international keyboard. No luck.
2. Many application are crashing. GEdit, Bluefish, Balsa all crash regularly.
What should I do?
This is an amd k6-2 400 mhz, 128 ram.
Also, I get no session management.
thanks if you can help., STeve W