Re: potato_install

on Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 02:41:38PM -0200, Antonio A. Lobato (tom@splicenet.com.br) wrote:
> > > Antonio wrote:
> > >
> > > I`m tryieng to install the potato with a CDROM debian. But, when
> > > I`m going to install the "Kernel and Modules", the "dbootstrap"
> > > does not take-me the option of install it with the CDROM, only:
> > > "fd0", "fd1", "hard disk" and "mounted". Is it not recognizing my
> > > CDROM. Detail: my CDROM reader is very old. It`s a Creative SB 2x
> > > (Panassonic).
> >
> > jfoster wrote:
> >
> > When the rescue disk is loading, does the boot kernel find the
> > cdrom? It should show up if the bios is finding it.
>
> How can I know it ? Where do I see it ?

    $ dmesg | more

...should show up with context such as "cdrom", "panasonic", "atapi",
etc, early in the output.

> >If so then you should be able to mount the cdrom as /dev/hdc for this
> purpose >(providing you only have 1 hard disk).
>
> How do I mount it ? Must I have to use the bash (Crtl+Alt+F2) and
> write "mount  /cdrom" from it ? Or Have I to use other method ? (I
> have only one hard disk)

Once the CDROM is properly detected, the mounting/unmounting is handled
within the installation process.  Manually mounting/umounting the device
is likely to fubar the process (nothing irreperable, the installer just
expects to find the device in one state or the other and gets upset when
it's not).  Yes, you can switch to another virtual console and mount the
device.  Usually specifying filesystem type, device, and moutpoint:

    $ mount -t iso9660 /dev/<device> /cdrom