Re: Connect script failed

Please respond to list.

on Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 06:29:10PM -0200, Marcelo Chiapparini (chiappa@centroin.com.br) wrote:
> Karsten
>
> On Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 12:17:01PM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> > on Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 10:58:20AM -0200, Marcelo Chiapparini (chiappa@centroin.com.br) wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I have two ISP. Both of them have the same configuration file in
> > > /etc/ppp/peers genrated with pppconfig. The only difference is the
> > > telephone number. I use pon to connect to them, but while with one
> > > of them everything goes fine, with the
> > > other I get
> > >
> > > Dec 31 10:50:07 micron pppd[810]: Connect script failed
> > > Dec 31 10:50:08 micron pppd[810]: Exit.
> > >
> > > what could be wrong. I think that the script is the same for both
> > > ISP.
> >
> > Could be a lot of things.  For starters, set debug on -- you can do
> > this through pppconfig by modifying your existing script.
> >

> It is already on. I would appreciate very much any suggestion.

In which case, you should have rather more verbose output.  Post it.

My general suggestion is to look at the Network Administrator's Guide
(NAG).  You should have a version under /usr/docs/ldp-nag (or can
install it with the appropriate package).

You can also access the PPP chapter online at:

    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linag2/book/ch08.html

If you can't identify the problem through your ppp/chat scripts, try
manually connecting to your ISP via minicom.

When I say "could be a lot of things", there may be specific
modifications in your ISP configurations, such as how you specify,
quote, or preface your userid and/or password.  Seeing the interactive
output is very helpful in debugging these issues.  See also your ISPs
support pages.  Almost *all* ISPs now provide instructions on how to
connect via GNU/Linux, even if they don't officially support it.

Cheers.