Re: named problems: locally served pages hang

kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote on 31/12/2000 (04:03) :
> ...and I specify my hostname in /etc/hosts.
>
> There don't appear to be any bind or named messages in system logs
> (daemon.log, messages, debug).  Unless I'm missing something (and I
> think I am).
>
> I'd like to figure out why this is happening and how to fix it.

I installed bind and it removed my problems (that is, it is only a
workaround), but do you have a db.navel in /etc/bind containing the same
as db.local except that the second last lines is:

@       IN      NS      navel.

and in named.conf
zone "navel" {
        type master;
        file "/etc/bind/db.navel";
};

?

If not try it :-)

order hosts, bind

does not seem to have an effect, neither do

hosts:          files dns

in /etc/nsswitch.conf

Hope it helps.
--
Preben Randhol ---------------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
+---+ "There was, I think, never any reason to  believe in any innate
| ! |  superiority of the male, except his superior muscle."
+---+      -- Bertrand Russell, Ideas That Have Harmed Mankind (1950)