Re: named problems: locally served pages hang

kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote on 31/12/2000 (04:03) :
> I'm serving some pages locally off my desktop.  I'm finding that
> accessing them locally results in hangs until I restart my named daemon
> with
>
>     $ /etc/init.d/bind restart
>
> ...as root.  At which point the page loads instantly.  I'm referencing
> the pages by hostname ("navel") rather than "localhost", which don't
> seem to be affected.
>
> /etc/host.conf specifies:
>
>    order hosts,bind
>
> ...and I specify my hostname in /etc/hosts.
>
> There don't appear to be any bind or named messages in system logs
> (daemon.log, messages, debug).  Unless I'm missing something (and I
> think I am).
>
> I'd like to figure out why this is happening and how to fix it.

I have similar problem with loclhost and ISDN. When
/etc/init.d/isdnutils is started I cannot get netscape to access
localhost before Linux has asked both nameservers in resolv.conf which
leads to a hang. I have not had these problems with Potato only now when
upgrading to woody. I think that there might be a libc6 bug, but I'm not
sure.

--
Preben Randhol ---------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
iMy favorite editor is Emacs!<ESC>bcwVim<ESC>