Re: Linux tries to talk to nameserver when accessing localhost (was Re: neighbour table overflow with Woody)

"Eric G . Miller" <egm2@jps.net> wrote on 31/12/2000 (01:32) :
> On Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 01:09:32AM +0100, Preben Randhol wrote:
> > Preben Randhol <randhol@pvv.org> wrote on 30/12/2000 (21:57) :
> > > Apparently I did something else as well as it stopped working :-(
> >
> > That is when I'm not on the net, the machine still tries to talk to the
> > nameservers I have set up in resolv.conf when I write :
> > netscape http://localhost/
> > and it then hangs for a long time as it cannot connect to the
> > nameservers.
> >
> > If I write netscape http://127.0.0.1/ it works.
> >
> > # cat /etc/hosts
> > 127.0.0.1   localhost localhost.localdomain
> >
> > # cat /etc/resolv.conf
> >  nameserver 193.212.1.11
> >  nameserver 193.212.1.10
> >
> > Any hints much appreciated!
>
> /etc/host.conf ???
>
> order hosts,bind
> multi on

Sorry, yes it looks like that.
--
Preben Randhol ---------------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
+---+ "There was, I think, never any reason to  believe in any innate
| ! |  superiority of the male, except his superior muscle."
+---+      -- Bertrand Russell, Ideas That Have Harmed Mankind (1950)