newbie trying to run anXious - lots of Xwoes

Have succeeded with potato install on Mitsubishi
Amity laptop, but stuck on configuring X.  Potato
install runs in a 16 color VGA mode, so I don't
know why I can't even get something that simple
to run.  I have tried    xf86config     but apparently
something goes wrong.  Among other things,
SuperProbe finds a Yamaha chip, which doesn't
appear on xf86config's list of options.  So, I am
trying to run anXious.  I can migrate to /usr/bin
and type anXious; nothing happens.

Permission problem?? I tried chmod a+x anXious.

Still no joy.  I'm stumped.  Newbie will appreciate
help.  TIA and Happy New Year.

PS: Any debian specific X howto out there??
Haven't found one yet.