Re: New course for Debian University

Carel,

Thanks for your input.  I appreciate knowing what people think of the
document.

On Thu, 28 Dec 2000, Carel Fellinger wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 08:12:05PM -0600, David A. Rogers wrote:
> > Kernel 150 - Compiling the kernel - is open for enrollment (The Debian
> > University document has been updated to include information on compiling the
> > kernel in the Debian way).
> >
> > Debian University can be found at:
> >
> > http://home.xnet.com/~darogers/debian_university.txt
>
> Nice initiative.

Thanks.

> > make-kpkg is very nice and makes compiling the kernel as easy as it can get
>
> I think it would be wise (and more debian like:) to explain how to
> compile the kernel as *non* root using fakeroot.  Furthermore I seem
> to recall discussions on this list that it's better to refrain from
> using/creating that /usr/src/linux link.

I understand your comment about fakeroot.  However, I didn't include any
documentation on it for a couple of reasons.

First, I've instructed the reader to read the kernel-package documentation
which includes instructions on how to do that already.  As I state in the
University principles, I don't want to duplicate existing documentation if
possible.

Second, I really think that the use of fakeroot, in this case, is being
unnecessarily cautious.  I agree that one should not login as root (normally),
but I see no harm in using su or sudo in an xterm window for the purpose of
building a new kernel - especially in light of the fact that my intended
audience is home users with dialup systems.  They have a lot less security
risk (and need for security measures) than the average business box.

I am open to discussion, however.  If you can give me compelling reasons that
a home user should use fakeroot whilst building a kernel, please do.

On the other topic, the kernel-package does state that
/usr/src/kernel-source-etc is an acceptable location for the kernel source.
If anyone can give a compelling reason not to make the linux symlink, I will
listen.

Cheers,
dar