OFFTOPIC: only commercial oss sound work with Quake2

I installed Quake2 and it would not work because sound would not
initialize.  I compiled a new kernel without sound support and then I
installed the OSS (commercial) sound drivers and Quake2 ran normally
(with sound).  I tried it again with no sound and it would not work.

Is anyone using the ALSA drivers with Quake2?  How did you do it?
I no longer have a copy of the OSS license, so I will probably have
to buy it again if I can't get the ALSA drivers to do the job.

TIA

--
Andrew