Re: Making new tasks known to tasksel

Holger Rauch <Holger.Rauch@heitec.de> wrote:
>Still got another question concerning Debian's package mgmt system: How
>and when are new task-* packages made available to tasksel? I had the
>impression that running "apt-cdrom add" and then running "tasksel" would
>be sufficient, and I was quite surprised when I found out that this
>was obviously NOT the case. So, what's the proper way to ensure that all
>desired tasks show up when running tasksel?

It reads /var/lib/dpkg/available. Maybe you ran 'apt-get update'?
Unfortunately, that doesn't update dpkg's available file (there's been
some dispute over whether or not this is a bug - I think it's
counter-intuitive at best). You need to run 'dselect update', which, if
you're using dselect with the apt method [1], will do everything
'apt-get update' does and also update /var/lib/dpkg/available.

[1] You may need to set the apt method up in dselect's 'Access' screen
    if you haven't used it before. Alternatively, you could just run
    /usr/lib/dpkg/methods/apt/update, which is what 'dselect update'
    does internally.

Regards,