gnapster error trying to connecting to servers

When I start gnapster, there is a message "Finding best server" ...
then nothing happens.

netstat shows that it has sent a syn out and is listening. I know it's
not an isp problem because I can use napster from Win98. I have this
problem on another debian box, too. Is there a default network settings
that would block gnapster? I'm using potato, 2.2.18 with firewalling
enabling. I haven't, however, set up any firewalling rules beyond
linuxconf's default rules.

Any help would be appreciated