Re: 'testing' & dep conflicts

On Fri, Dec 29, 2000 at 12:10:41AM +0100, Sven Burgener wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am running 'testing', upgraded from potato a few days ago.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. Why are packages kept back like follows?
>
>    $ apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

[ snip ]

>    The following packages have been kept back
> 	 base-passwd bin86 bsdgames bsdutils cpp cron e2fsprogs ed fetchmail
> 	 fileutils findutils ftp g++ gcc libc6 libc6-dev libreadline4
> 	 libstdc++2.10-dev locales login mount ntop passwd patch pciutils
> 	 setserial telnet traceroute util-linux wget
>    The following packages will be upgraded
> 	 debianutils dialog gettext-base gnupg groff info libnewt0
> 	 libstdc++2.10 procmail whiptail
>    10 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 30 not
>    upgraded.

First, since you're upgrading from potato to woody (you've changed
distributions), you should use `apt-get dist-upgrade'.

>    Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>    debianutils: PreDepends: libc6 (>= 2.1.97) but 2.1.3-13 is to be
>    installed
>    E: Internal Error, InstallPackages was called with broken packages!

I just did an update/upgrade here (running woody) and I've now got
debianutils 1.14 and libc6 2.2-6.  What's your apt sources/list look
like?  Perhaps your mirror is off kilter.

No, now that I look at it the problem is that libc6 is being held
back.  Try the dist-upgrade method instead.

HTH,

Micromuse Inc.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.