Re: XFree / Font error

On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 10:22:18PM -0500, Hall Stevenson wrote:
> Running Debian Woody and XFree86 v4.0.1 and trying to get TrueType fonts
> under X. I've followed the instructions fully, I believe, but still no
> TT fonts. I finally ran across this error:
>
> Could not init font path element unix/:7101, removing from list!
>
> in /var/log/xdm.log.
>
> Any ideas how to fix this ?? xfs and xfstt are both running, although I
> understand it's not necessary with XFree v4.x.

You don't use xfstt for xfree4 you need to put this line
Load    "freetype"
in your module section of your XF86Config-4

Then you need to get some treutype fonts and put them in a directory.
I use /usr/share/fonts/truetype.  Then you need to apt-get fttools,
and run mkttfdir in that directory.  After that put the font path
in your XF86Config-4, too.  like so:
FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/truetype"

later