Re: Iomega PC2F SCSI Adaptor

on Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 08:20:37PM -0800, Nate Amsden (aphro@portal.aphroland.org) wrote:
> kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>
> > No specific advice.  What is this card for?  In my experience, Iomega
> > sucks, blows, and spews chunks, in technicolor.
>
> i used to agree. but there is an upside. provided they stay in business
> (cough syquest) you can keep on exchanging media ..at least if you
> have a jaZ(ive exchanged 3 jaz drives and about 15 carts during
> the 2.5 years i used JAZ have not really touched it since) and
> every time (except the first jaz drive exchange that was out
> of warranty by a few months:( ) it was free. by the end i would
> just save up cartridges and exchange them in packs of 3 or 4.
> (this is Jaz 1GB btw)
>
> took me a while to realize that even tho they suck i don't mind
> a whole lot because i learned early never to store data on
> iomega that was critical, always have a backup on something
> else, as long as i could keep exchanging media it wasn't a big
> deal(cept to pay for the postage to ship.

While this is true, you're stuck with unreliable media.  It was oversold
to me initially -- at the time I was running NT 4.0, and MSFT's
brain-dead backup software *won't* write to Jaz.  I'd much rather have
spent the dough on a high-capacity DAT drive *plus* several (1997/8) GB
of reliable SCSI storage.  I'd be ahead of the game.