Re: NEED help with dynamic linker problem

on Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 09:17:27PM -0800, losthalo (brucekitty@yahoo.com) wrote:

> I am receiving the following error on the command line: BUG IN DYNAMIC
> LINKER ld.so:.. sysdeps/i386/dl-machine.h: 291: elf_machine_rel:
> Assertion!  '! "unexpected dynamic linker reloc type: 'failed!

No specific experience or expertise, but the following might be helpful:

  - What are you doing?  What command are you issuing?  Are you trying
    to compile a program or run one?

  - Have you searched Google or Deja for this bug?  A Google search
    for

	BUG IN DYNAMIC LINKER ld.so: sysdeps/i386/dl-machine.h

...turns up a number of hits, including:

    http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/1998-02/msg00209.html

There's also a Debian bug report:

  http://www.de.debian.org/Bugs/db/63/63861-b.html

> I posted about this once before, and received no response.  I'm not
> asking someone to walk me through it, but I would really appreciate
> some help (a URL of a doc, advice, even just an idea of where the
> problem lies).  I'm new to Debian, to Linux in general, and having a
> hard time finding -anything- relating to this online (I have looked,
> via search engines, mailing list archives, Debian.org, etc.).

Less griping and more specifics would be helpful here.

> I can't even find anything -approaching- a comprehensive list of
> general error messages for Linux.

No such beast, sorry.  "Linux" is simply too large an aggregate of
multiple packages and components, constantly being updated.

Best bet:  search the source or online indexes.  For kernel-specific
messages, guessing at the invariant portion of an error message and
running:

    find /usr/src/linux/* -type f -name \*.c -print0 | \
      xargs -0 grep -l 'regexp'

...typically turns up something.  If you can work out which program your
error is coming from, you might try downloading and grepping its
sources.  You don't have to know C, but it may help identify *where*
your problem is occuring.

> The man info for ld.so, ldconfig, and ldd told me nothing.

Typically, they don't.  If you're lucky, exit status may be indicated.
This is a shame.

> I tried installing the ld.so package afresh, downloaded from the net,
> thinking it may have been corrupted or buggy from the start.  The
> install seemed to go fine, compiled and installed without error
> messages.

Good steps.

> The ld.so bug error message continues to crop up.  It does not seem to
> be triggered by a particular command, and once it occurs, basically
> locks up the machine, anything entered on the command line gives that
> message as a response.

Ok.  *THIS* is significant.  Didn't see it until I started factoring
through your post.  Put the *important* data at the *TOP* of your post.

Check your memory.  Report your kernel version.  Several of the 2.2.x
series have problems, particularly in the 2.2.9 - 2.2.16 range.  2.2.17
has a virtual memory error.  Look through your system logs (/var/log +
messages, system, and kern.log).  See if anything appears to be
happening at or near the time the error occurs.

> I have compiled and installed other programs I've downloaded, and they
> appear to work fine.  I have recently recompiled my kernel (slink
> 2.0.36) which may have something to do with the problem.

Now you tell us.  2.0.36 is old, but basically pretty reliabile.  2.0.38
is, IIRC, the current 2.0 series kernel, you might want to look at it.

> Tonight I've put the old kernel back in place (the one I got off of
> the slink distro CD), so I'll see if that fixes the situation.  In any
> case, I have hit a big wall in finding documentation, which has me
> pulling my hair out.

Look at your system logs.