NEED help with dynamic linker problem

I am receiving the following error on the command line:
BUG IN DYNAMIC LINKER ld.so:.. sysdeps/i386/dl-machine.h: 291:
elf_machine_rel:  Assertion!  '! "unexpected dynamic linker reloc type:
'failed!

I posted about this once before, and received no response.  I'm not
asking someone to walk me through it, but I would really appreciate
some help (a URL of a doc, advice, even just an idea of where the
problem lies).  I'm new to Debian, to Linux in general, and having a
hard time finding -anything- relating to this online (I have looked,
via search engines, mailing list archives, Debian.org, etc.).

I can't even find anything -approaching- a comprehensive list of
general error messages for Linux.  The man info for ld.so, ldconfig,
and ldd told me nothing.  I tried installing the ld.so package afresh,
downloaded from the net, thinking it may have been corrupted or buggy
from the start.  The install seemed to go fine, compiled and installed
without error messages.  The ld.so bug error message continues to crop
up.  It does not seem to be triggered by a particular command, and once
it occurs, basically locks up the machine, anything entered on the
command line gives that message as a response.  I have compiled and
installed other programs I've downloaded, and they appear to work fine.
I have recently recompiled my kernel (slink 2.0.36) which may have
something to do with the problem.  Tonight I've put the old kernel back
in place (the one I got off of the slink distro CD), so I'll see if
that fixes the situation.  In any case, I have hit a big wall in
finding documentation, which has me pulling my hair out.

If I've hit an obvious problem, tell me what it is, if I'm overlooking
something, mention it, and if it's hopeless, please let me know.

losthalo
"First it was, didn't know what the box was.
Then it was, didn't open the box.
But we do keep finding each other, don't we?"