Re: Catch-22 with modules/backups

On 23 Dec 2000 16:27:02 EST, mikpolniak said:

>  On Sat, 23 Dec 2000 15:32:34 EST, JoshNarins@aol.com said:
>
>  >
>  >  I did not install SCSI support during my debian-2.2.17pre6
>  >  installation, since I have no SCSI devices.
>  >
>  >  I have one backup mechanism, a CD-Rewritable drive.
>  >  The CD-Rewritable howto says I need SCSI support.
>  >  (whoops!)
>  >
>  >  I am eager to try making a debian kernel,
>  >  to make sure only the drivers I need are there,
>  >  but first I need to make a backup !!!
>  >
>  >  The module I am missing is sr_mod, which I am told is loadable.
>  >  dselect knows nothing about scsi or sr_mod,
>  >  apt-get knows the same.
>  >  www.google.com has no links to any sources that I can find.
>  >  If you look for "sr_mod" in the debian packages area,
>  >  you get nothing, becuase it treats the _ as a space.
>  >
>  >  Two or three people have tried to give me help, but one
>  >  said "good luck" and the other main one began
>  >  "Start with a clean .config file" (um, what .config file?)
>  >
>  	You can use your /boot/config-2.2.xx as a bootstrap for
>  your kernel compile .config file.
>  	To get the 'sr_mod ' set CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=m in SCSI
>  support type.
>  	To  record on IDE/ATAPI drive you'll need SCSI emulation
>  set for module 'ide-scsi' ; SCSI support for 'scsi-mod' module;
>  SCSI generic for 'sg' module.
>  	Also set CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD  to N or M and not
>  directly linked to the kernel.
>  	When you want to record a cd you'll have to activate the
>  SCSI bus and drivers with modprobe ide-scsi and also run
>  cdrecord -scanbus.

	I think this will clarify your situation. Look for the following
in /lib/modules/scsi :
	ide-scsi.o  scsi_mod.o	sg.o  sr_mod.o

in /lib/modules/block:
	ide-cd.o

	These modules should allow you to use 'cdrecord' to make a
recording on your IDE/ATAPI  CD-RW.
	If some of these modules are not listed then they must be
directly linked into the kernel, which you can see in your
/boot/config-2.2.XX file.
	If ide-cd is directly linked then you will have to edit lilo.conf
and add : append='hdx=ide-scsi'  where x is your drive e.g. hdc.
	This is necessary so that ide-cd does not grab your CD-RW
before the ide-scsi module. If you have to compile to get the
required modules you can leave out ide-cd since with SCSI emulation you will
reference your drive as scd0.