Re: cdrom - timeouts

On Sat, Dec 23, 2000 at 11:16:49AM -0500, Jeremy wrote:

> > --- Balbir Thomas <thomas.1037@osu.edu> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I recently switched from  RedHat 6.2 to potato
> > > and my cdrom seems to have the following
> > > problems :
> > > Most of the time I get errors like :
> > >
> > > hdb: irq timeout: status=0xc0 { Busy }
> > > hdb: ATAPI reset complete
> > >

> > isn't the CD ROM drive supposed to be hdc?
>
> I can't really say whether your CD ROM is supposed to be hdb or hdc,
> because it depends on how it's set up in your system, but I encountered
> this error as well.  For me, it was only happening on one CD, which
> happened to be the first in the 3 CD set of potato.  I foundthat it was a
> problem with how I had burned the CD the first time, and so I made
> another and haven't had the problem since.  I don't know if it's happening
> with a CD you made yourself or not, but it's only a thought.
> Jeremy

You are right it does not happen with all cd's , though in my case it
also happens with some commercial cd's. I wonder if it could be due to
an unclean lens or some missing boot parameter ? I still don't
understand why I did not have this problem with Red Hat .
balbir
Please not I changed the subject to correct my embarassing error of not
providing a subject in my original mail