Re: xdm error (pid 257): server unexpectedly died Help please

In a message dated 12/21/00 4:20:05 PM EST, steffl@bigfoot.com writes:

<< DTi4565459@aol.com wrote:

 > When I try to startx, I get error message:
 >
 > X: exec of /usr/bin/X11/SF86_S3 failed
 > _X11TransSocketUNIX COnnecty: Can't connect: errno - 111
 > giving up
 > xinit: Connection refused
 > xinit: No such procerss (errno 3):  Server error
 >
 > When I look at xdm log, I find error in subject line.  I'm a newbie and
would
 > appreciate some clues.  TIA,

   try to run X itself and see if you get any error, run either startx or
 plain X

   try on or both of the following:

   startx 2> startx.log
   X 2> X.log

   and check the startx.log and X.log files

    erik

Thanks, Erik.  I tried that.  startx 2>startx.log produces same output
as I described above.  X2> X.log produces only the first line of same
output:      " X: exec of /usr/bin/X11/XF86_S3 failed"

Additional suggestions welcomed...,, dave