Re: vpn -> how?

Pending further investigation, we now allege that will trillich wrote:
> anybody care to suggest a few simple steps to get VPN
> up and running? i've looked at the nano-HOWTO and don't
> have any luck. other methods are delightfully accepted!
>
> rather than tell you how many methods and in what glorious
> ways i've failed, i thought i'd start with tabula rasa and
> let you experienced gurus start me off...
>
> [care to write a newbieDoc about it, while you're at it?]

I'm not sure if this is the same as the nan-HOWTO to which you refer,
but there is a VPN howto
(http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/VPN-HOWTO.html) which outlines a
technique that involves running ppp over ssh.  I do almost exactly the
same thing to connect my laptop at work to my server at home, and it
works pretty well.  If you're looking for something to connect two
offices over the Internet, it might not be the right choice.  In that
case you can check the links in that howto for info on CIPE and IPSec.