Re: NE2000 ISA NIC setup

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, John Griffiths wrote:

> >I was never able to get this done in the install. I completed the install
> >without networking and then, after some research, placed:
> >
> >alias eth0 ne
> >options ne      io=0x300 irq=10
> >
> >in the file /etc/modutils/network. Of course, after more research, I had to
> >complete the rest of the network configuration manually as well. But in the
> >end, it all works.
>
> So i load the module on install and accept the failure?
>
> or i don't need to install it?

I was worried about this. But the module (in my case 'ne') did show up in
/lib/modules after the install. All I had to do was add it to /etc/modules
and create the /etc/modutils/network entry as I indicated above. I may have
had to run 'modules-update' -- I don't remember just now.

The main point is you can safely complete your Debian installation and fix
up your NIC config later.

Dwight