Re: backups

hi ya ken...

if you only want to save "weekly incremental backups" to
a second disk.... find and tar is easy/simple

otherwise there is tons of other apps that does it

- there are many issues to backups...
	- backup disk is 100% full
	- is $50-$xx,000 worth spending or backup sw or is find/tar good
	  enough
	- how long to keep backup files
	- how long do you want to spend to restore the system
	  from backup if the original crashes/dies
		( pull the disk out to simulate its failure )
	- what if the last incremental file is bad...
	- what if the last full backup is bad
	- what to save
	- whats already on cdrom ( no need to save it )
	- whats already on various ftp sites ( no need to save it )

have fun
alvin

Dir = "/root /etc /usr /home"
Exlcude = ".netscape/cache\|.gnome\|^core\|\.swp\$\|~\$\|\.o\$"

find  $Dir -mtime -7 -type f -print | egrep -v \"$Exclude\" |
	tar zcvf /BACKUP/$Host/$Yr_$Mon_$Day.tgz  -T -

change -7 to be -1 for daily incrementals or -32 for monthly incrementals