Re: error making module

Bob Nielsen <nielsen@oz.net> writes:
Bob> On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 02:11:03PM -0800, Nick wrote:
 Nick> i am having a few problems when i try to MAKE a module
 Nick>
 Nick> error file not found linux/vmalloc.h
 Nick> linux/poll.h
 Nick> linux/init.h
 Nick> asm/uaccess.h
 Nick>
 Nick> and in fact i am missing those file from my /usr/include directory.
 Nick>
 Nick> What packages install those such files???? something related to
 Nick> modems...
 Nick>
Bob> Install libc6-dev, which supplies those files.

Well, yes, but it's not the right files if you're trying to build a
module.  The files in /usr/include/linux correspond to the kernel used
to build libc6, not to the current kernel.  (See the libc6 docs for
details on this.)

What you really want is kernel-source-nnnn or kernel-headers-nnnn,
where nnnn is the version of the kernel you want to build a module
for.  Even better, if it's a Debian-packaged kernel module, take a
configured kernel source tree and run 'make-kpkg modules_image' from
the top of it (with the kernel-package package installed); this will
automagically set up things to build all of the modules under
/usr/src/modules with the header files from the kernel source.

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell