Re: Debian 2.2: download stops during "apt-get update"

> What happens if you do a flood ping? (assuming this is between 2 local
> machines). Normally, you should see a dot flashing on lhs of screen,
> with a dot drawn for each error. Perhaps you get no errors for a while
> and then the card falls over giving you lines and lines of dots?

This isn't between two local machines.  During the last install, I didn't
even configure the ethernet card.  The only thing running is ppp (needed to
download the rest of the system).  If I look at ifconfig it lists no errors
on the ppp0 interface after one of these timeouts.

When I am back running Debian 1.3 on the server and 2.2 on my workstation, I
can transfer huge files between the machines without problem.  So it doesn't
appear to be a general network problem.  However, if I try to download
something huge from the Internet on my workstation (using the server running
1.3 as a gateway), I get the same timeouts.  So it looks like some kind of
routing problem with packets outside my local network.  netwatch doesn't
show me any problems.  ifconfig and route show things properly configured
(as far as I can tell).  I know 2.2 is now using ipchains instead of
ipfwadm.  Is there something the install doesn't configure that I need to?
I wouldn't think this would be a problem when the server is running 2.2 and
directly connected (through ppp) to the Internet.

I would appreciate any ideas people have on how to troubleshoot this.

Thanks,
   Jeff