Re: FreeBSD --> Debian

On 19/12/2000 at 23:14 -0800, debian@thebsdbox.net wrote:
> I've been using FreeBSD for a long time now and would
> like to try out Debian.  The install looks to be confusing.
> I'd like to do a network install.  I can't find a straight answer
> in the docs...

I don't know if this will work for you, but I found a very easy way to
install Debian when I finally decided to switch from RedHat.

I didn't had the Debian CD, so I was stuck with the FTP install.

I downloaded the base tar file (base_2.2.tgz???) and untarred it on my new
Debian root partition (which was mounted on my RedHat system). I then booted
with the installation boot floppies and configured that base (small,
limited) Debian system.

After that, it was enough to use dselect to install all the packages I
wanted)...

I like this method of installation. :)

Anyhow, you can find somewhere on the Debian website (www.debian.org) the
Debian Installation Guide. I was somewhat confused by it, but managed to
survive. I am now the happy user of a Debian system... :)

Regards, sena...

--
sena@decoy.ath.cx, http://decoy.ath.cx/~sena/
gpg fingerprint: F20B 12A8 A8F6 FD1F 9B1D BA62 C424 8E73 DD2E 47C8