Re: Modules and kernel upgrades

Yes, I had this problem a few weeks back. I posted a
message here and here is the fix that worked for me.

Ah! What you have there is a gotcha in the current
Debian
kernel-building
documentation.  Most dists put a .config in the linux
directory that
reflects
the options used to build the distributed kernel.
Debian doesn't.
However,
you can get it from /boot/config-2.2.17 (if you are
running Potato).
Copy
that file to /usr/src/linux/.config before running
make menuconfig or
make
xconfig.

In your situation, I think the make-kpkg routine puts
the new config in
the
/boot dir.  The old one will be available as
/boot/config-2.2.17.bak.