incorrect kernel version

I've installed a patch on my 2.2.17 kernel (win4lin). The new kernel
compiles and boots however it now thinks that it is a 2.2.12 kernel
(Identifies itself this way at the start of the boot).
Needless to say, it has a little difficultly loading modules.

The kernel that was compiled before installing the patch still boots
without a problem.

I thought it would be easy to find where the kernel version is set but
so far I have been unsuccessful. If someone happens to know how this
is done could you please let me know.

Note: The file version.h still says 2.2.17

rob

Robert Newton
rgnewton@telusplanet.net