Re: Load crash from speakers at startup

> On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 06:55:13AM -0500, David Purton wrote:
> > just recently my speakers have started making a load
> > crash sound at startup around when the sound card is initialised.

> > I had the very same thing happen to me a while back.  I narrowed
> > it down to be the SoundBlaster module loading; I guess it does
> > some output test, and bootup the volume levels are cranked
> > up.  I wasn't able to get rid off it, until I went to kernel 2.2.17,
> > and the problem just disappeared...

The same thing *used* to happen with mine too (an SB AWE64 also) and it
doesn't happen anymore either. I can't remember when it stopped though.

It may very well be related to the module loading and possibly the
"soundbank" that's part of either the "awe" or "midi" portion. It also
doesn't help that rebooting the card apparently re-initializes it and
sets the volume to *almost* maximum. I think RedHat had a tool that
prevented this from happening too.

Regards
Hall Stevenson