Oracle

Title: Oracle

Greetings,

We are currently in the process of setting up the curriculum for teaching the Oracle database system here at the University of Advancing Computer Technology.  I feel that it would be a good idea to teach Oracle administration on some sort of UNIX platform, and I am very interested in the possibility of using LINUX as a platform, due to its appeal as a PC based system.

I have talked to Red Hat, and Caldera.  Red Hat did not recommend 7.0 as a platform.  They do have a special version of Red Hat dedicated to Oracle, but it costs $2500--obviously not a solution for my students.

Caldera encouraged me to wait until the next kernal comes out, which may be a good idea.

I was just wondering if there is anyone who has implemented Oracle using Debian as a platform.  I am particularly interested in Debian because it seems to be less commercialized than some of the others.

I would appreciate feedback anyone might have about setting up Oracle servers on Debian LINUX.  Our networking lab has Intel based systems (Pentium) with removable hard drives, and 64 MB of RAM.  I would like to teach an implementation which would be easy for students to put together on their own with very low cost.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric D. Langager
College of Software Engineering
University of Advancing Computer Technology
www.uact.edu