Re: New IDE drive w/o rebooting?

I'm assuming the machine is a PC.  Usually you can't add IDE disks
without rebooting, also I'm not sure it's a good idea to mess with the
cables while the power is on.  IDE disks are identified by the BIOS at
boot time.

Zip IDE disks are an exception : the BIOS does nothing to support
them.  As far as the BIOS is concerned, ZIP drives don't exist.  (See
my post in the archives relating how I got my Linux HD to work).

You may be able to get away with it with a zip drive, but if the power
destroys it, I am not liable.  ;-)

It shouldn't be so bad to reboot the machine, it should only take a
couple of minutes.

HTH,
-D